Moray and Salt Mines of Maras Half Day Tour
From $40 per person
Moray and the Salt Mines of Maras, nestled in the Cusco region of Peru, are captivating archaeological sites that provide unique insights into the Inca civilization’s agricultural and resource management techniques. Moray is an enigmatic site featuring concentric terraces that served as experimental farms, each terrace having distinct microclimates for growing crops. In contrast, the Salt Mines of Maras showcase a centuries-old salt extraction process, utilizing natural saltwater springs that flow into a labyrinth of salt pans, forming a surreal, terraced landscape. Both sites offer a deep connection to the Inca heritage, stunning panoramic views, and a fascinating glimpse into the ancient engineering and cultural traditions of the Andean people.
Moray is a unique archaeological site in this region, consisting of depressions, which are gigantic natural holes in the land, where agricultural terraces were built with their respective irrigation channels, to experiment with different varieties of quinoa, corn, potatoes, coca and much more.
Located to the west of Cusco (3300m), Maras was inhabited by the Inkas before the Spanish arrived and took over the town. Today, you will see different colonial buildings in the town and a church that has some of the same paintings as the Cusco School of Art.
Las Salineras or salt mines are located to the northwest of Maras and the site holds around 3000 small wells with an average area of 5m².
- Daily Departures and hotel pick-up
- For private tours, start times can vary as per the needs of the clients
- Advance bookings are highly recommended
- Duration:6-7 hours
Places we’ll visit
- Moray Platforms
- Maras Village
- Salt Mines
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco (the tour ends in the Main Square or you can be dropped off at your hotel)
- Private transport
- Spanish and English-speaking professional guide
- Entrance to Moray Platforms
- Entrance to Maras salt mines – 15 soles (you will buy these tickets with your guide on the day).
- Lunch and snacks
- Travel Insurance – we strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance for the duration of your trip
What you should bring
- Copy of Passport
- ISIC card (isic.org) if applicable
- Day pack
- Water bottle (recommended 1 liter)
- Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses
- Rain gear: a good raincoat or a plastic rain poncho
- Extra money for lunch, shopping, tips etc
Every Day Of The Year
We have group trips for ONE DAY TOUR every day of the year. Availability: Make your reservation (reserve at least one day in advance). Take advantage of our group prices and let yourself be enchanted by the magic of the Inca culture.
- USD$ 40.00 per person
Private Service Price:
- 2 people USD$ 120.00 per person
- 3 people USD$ 110.00 per person
- 4 people USD$ 100.00 per person
- 5 people USD$ 90.00 per person
- 6 + people USD$ 80.00 per person
We are focused on the environment.
You will enjoy evironmental activities that are part of the COCA LIFE ADVENTURE
Why Choose Coca Life Adventure?
All of our English speaking local guides are passionate about their country and will accompany you from the moment you arrive in your destination, throughout your escorted tour and right until your departing flight home.
Your dedicated and personal trip coordinator is available around-the-clock throughout your trip to accommodate requests, take care of the details, and handle any unforeseen situations.
Discover our enchanting world your way. Our experts completely customize your private tour to match your interests and preferences through their comprehensive knowledge of each destination.
All our accommodations and services are personally tested by our team. Tell us your travel dream and we will create an itinerary packed with the best experiences your destination has to offer.
Plan Your Perfect Trip With Us
Hello! I’m Brissy Luz, thanks for visiting our website. Ever since i was a little girl i was interested spreading the Inca culture and history. I studied tourist administration and worked in different fields of tourism due to which i know very well the needs of our tourists. I decided to create COCA LIFE ADVENTURE with the aim of offering unforgetable experiences to those who visit us.