Classic Choquequirao Trek 4D/3N
From $435 per person
The Classic Choquequirao Trek, spanning 4 days and 3 nights, is an exhilarating journey deep into the rugged Peruvian Andes. This trek leads to the remarkable archaeological site of Choquequirao, often referred to as “Machu Picchu’s sister.” As you hike through challenging terrain, including steep ascents and descents, you’ll be rewarded with awe-inspiring views of the surrounding mountains and lush valleys. Choquequirao itself, with its terraces and temples, showcases the grandeur of Inca architecture. This trek offers a true off-the-beaten-path experience, blending historical exploration, natural beauty, and a sense of adventure, making it an excellent choice for those seeking an authentic Andean expedition in a more condensed timeframe.
Day 1: Cusco – Cachora – Santa Rosa
We’ll take private transport early in the morning (4:00 a.m.) from Cusco to Cachora, an Andean community located 4-5hrs from Cusco at 2800m / ft needed, and the trailhead of our hike. We leave from Cusco at 4:00am in the morning. Arriving at Cachora town at 8:00 a.m. where we will have our breakfast.
After arranging the equipment on the mules and horses and taking in the majestic views of the Padrayoc and Wayna Cachora snow-capped peaks, we’ll begin our day’s hike, covering 21.7km through beautiful changing landscape, from precipices to snowy mountains, to the impressive Apurimac Canyon. We’ll have lunch at Playa Rosalina around 1:00 p.m. and then continue to our campsite for the evening, Santa Rosa.
We will be hiking for around 10 hours today, and we’ll pass by the following places: La Colmena (2870m), La Aguada (2915m), Capuliyoc (2915m) an impressive look out point where we can see all of the Apurimac Valley, Huayhuacalle (2970m), Tinajayoc (2630m), Mirador (2370m), Cocamasana (2330m), Torowisqana (2285m), Chiquiska (1950m) grove place where we can find water, Playa Rosalina (camp in 1550m), La Huerta (2705m) and finally arriving in Santa Rosa (2115m).
Day 2: Choquequirao – Raqaypata
After an early breakfast at 5:00 a.m., we’ll continue our hike to Choquequirao. We should arrive within 5 hours and then we’ll be able to explore the majestic site and observe the three levels of the excavated ruin as well as its housing, terraces and other areas of this late Inkan town. The ruin site is still being excavated, and each time another part is uncovered, we learn more about this last refuge of the Inkas. At approximately 3:00 p.m. we may be able to watch “the flight of the Condors”, but this is weather dependent.
Choquequirao is considered to be the last refuge of the Inka Empire. The oldest reports state that Juan Arias Diaz was one of the first people to explore the area in 1710. Our bilingual guide will explain more about the history and importance of the site after the Spanish arrived in Peru. Later on, we’ll descend to Raqaypata (2910m), where we will camp and have lunch and dinner.
Day 3: Raqaypata – Chiquiska
After an early breakfast, we’ll pack up and start walking back through the Apurimac Canyon to Chiquiska. We may be lucky enough to see the flight of the Condors whilst taking in the exuberant vegetation and the varieties of flowers and orchids.
Passing the same small settlements as on the way to Choquequirao, we will stop in Playa Rosalina where we will have our lunch and after that we’ll continue to Chiquiska, where we will spend the night.
Hiking time: 10 hours
Day 4: Chiquiska – Cachora – Cusco
After an early morning breakfast at 5:00 a.m., we will walk back to Cachora today, which should take around 7 hours. On the way back to Cusco, we’ll stop in Cconoc to go to the hot springs, use the showers, and sample some of the local produce, arriving in Cusco around 10:00 p.m.
- Return private transport from your hotel in Cusco to the town of Cachora
- Entrance fee to Choquequirao
- Professional bilingual guide (Spanish and English)
- High quality camping equipment
- Mattresses, dining tent with table and chairs, bathroom tent
- Meals during the excursion (3 breakfasts, 4 lunches, 3 dinners and snacks, vegetarian options are available)
- Cook and cooking equipment
- Horsemen and mules, for all camping equipment and client’s luggage (up to 10kg)
- Coca tea is served every morning in your tent
- Boiled water after breakfast, to refill your water bottles (1 liter per person)
- Snacks each morning
- Hot drinks such as coca tea, black tea and coffee in the afternoon
- Emergency horse
- First Aid Kit and oxygen bottle
- Sleeping bag
- Trekking poles
- Travel Insurance – we strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance for the duration of your trip
What you should bring
- Backpack and daypack with rain cover
- Sleeping bag (can be rented from us)
- Clothing for warm and cold climates e.g. lightweight pants, thermal layers
- Rain gear: jacket, poncho, pants
- Trekking shoes/boots
- Slippers or sandals (for showers and hot springs)
- Woolen or synthetic socks and a sweater
- Long and short-sleeved polos/T-Shirts
- Woolen hat
- Bathing suit for the hot springs
- Sunscreen, hat and sunglasses, insect repellent
- Personal medical kit and medication
- Toiletries and hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper
- Small towel
- Water bottle (recommended 1 liter)
- Trekking poles (can be rented from us)
- Headlamp with spare batteries (very important)
- Some snacks such as chocolate bars and dried fruit
- Camera and extra batteries
- Extra money for drinks, souvenirs, tips etc. (soles or dollars)
Private Service Prices
- 2 people USD$ 550.00 per person
- 3 people USD$ 505.00 per person
- 4 people USD$ 465.00 per person
- 5+ people USD$ 435.00 per person
Prices vary depending on the number of people in your group.
- Student Discount: USD $20.00 (requires green ISIC Card)
- Under 18’s Discount: USD $20.00
Optional extras NOT included (need to book in advance)
- Sleeping Bag USD $20.00
- Pair of trekking poles USD $10.00
- Inflatable Mattress USD $20.00
- One-person tent USD $30.00
We are focused on the environment.
You will enjoy evironmental activities that are part of the COCA LIFE ADVENTURE
Why Choose Coca Life Adventure?
All of our English speaking local guides are passionate about their country and will accompany you from the moment you arrive in your destination, throughout your escorted tour and right until your departing flight home.
Your dedicated and personal trip coordinator is available around-the-clock throughout your trip to accommodate requests, take care of the details, and handle any unforeseen situations.
Discover our enchanting world your way. Our experts completely customize your private tour to match your interests and preferences through their comprehensive knowledge of each destination.
All our accommodations and services are personally tested by our team. Tell us your travel dream and we will create an itinerary packed with the best experiences your destination has to offer.
Plan Your Perfect Trip With Us
Hello! I’m Brissy Luz, thanks for visiting our website. Ever since i was a little girl i was interested spreading the Inca culture and history. I studied tourist administration and worked in different fields of tourism due to which i know very well the needs of our tourists. I decided to create COCA LIFE ADVENTURE with the aim of offering unforgetable experiences to those who visit us.